What do I need to do to register or title my boat?

Obtain an application from either a boat dealer, currency exchange, DNR office, state park, or download from the watercraft page. Complete the application and send in the top copy to the DNR. Keep the middle copy with you until you receive registration documents from the DNR. Your copy allows you to use the watercraft in the interim. The back side of the application identifies registration fees and other documents (title, Certificate of Origin, Dept. of Revenue receipt, etc.) which needs to be sent to the DNR. Allow 8 weeks for processing; during the peak boating season the processing time may increase. You may also call 217-557-0180 or 1-800-382-1696 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. If the watercraft has never been registered and titled in Illinois, complete the application as a "NEW" registration.

How much does it cost to register my boat?

Registration fees are determined by the length of the boat, as follows:

  • Class A (all canoes and kayaks used commercially): $13
  • Class 1 (all other watercraft less than 16'): $22
  • Class 2 (16' to less than 26'): $52
  • Class 3 (26' to less than 40'): $82
  • Class 4 (40' and longer): $107

Where can I register my boat?

All watercraft (other than sailboards) operated on the waters within the jurisdiction of this State shall be registered and titled.

State law requires that the purchaser of a watercraft shall, within 15 days after purchase, make application to the Department for registration/title.  Watercraft purchased from a dealer, the dealer must within 15 days mail or deliver the application to the Department.

No titles, registration cards, and/or decals are issued over the counter at any Natural Resources Offices. Applications are processed by mail at the Springfield Office.

Can I renew my registration online?

Yes, through the DNR website.

What to do when involved in a boating accident?

Boating Accident Report Form

Completion of this Boating Accident Report form does not excuse you from reporting an accident for investigation to either the Illinois Conservation Police or your local law enforcement agency.  This form only fulfills your written reporting requirement per the Illinois Boat Registration and Safety Act of 1959. You must report the accident on this form if the accident results in the loss of life, injury to a person greater than first aid, or total property damage (vessel, contents, and other property) is $2,000.00 or greater.