Boating Lake County Blog
Certification for a Boater’s License in Illinois
So it’s nearing the end of the summer, but you’re itching to get on the water a few more times before it starts to get cold in Lake County? Before doing so, you have to take an Official Boater Safety Education Course. You don’t want to have that moment where you hear ‘License and registration,’ and get caught in a dilly of a pickle. We have to police ourselves first before we get out there in the water, and the first step to doing that is boating safety courses, licensing and registration.
Here are some of the quick hits of licensing
• NO person can operate a motorboat under the age of 10
• Ages 10 – 12 must have parental guidance
• Completing a minimum eight hours of instruction and successfully responding in the final exam will receive a State of Illinois Certificate of Competency.
Illinois Certificate of Competency
Like in an earlier post – starting on January 1 2016, no person born after January 1, 1998 can operate a motorboat with over 10 horse power unless the person has a boating safety certificate recognized and approved by the state.
What do I Need to get a License?
There are three steps in order to get certification for a boater’s license in Illinois
1. Study the Online Course
2. Pass the Online Exam – Which cost $29.95 (Pay when you pass the exam)
3. After a posting a passing grade – print your certification and get out on that boat
It’s that easy. The course can be taken online at boaterexam.com. Also Registration expires every 3 years. So get that taken care of as well. You’ll be out on Lake Michigan, Chain O’ Lakes or other Lakes in the county in no time!