Boating Lake County Blog
Fuel for thought: Safe fueling tips
Unlike cars, fueling a boat safely requires more than just ‘filling it up.’ Here are some tips every boater should know.
- Get all passengers off the boat.
- Extinguish any flames (like in onboard grills).
- Close hatches and ports.
- Attach a “fuel catcher” to the fuel vent.
- Use an absorbent pad, bib, or fuel collar at the fuel fitting.
- Calculate the fuel you’ll need using the ‘rule of thirds’: 1⁄3 to reach your destination, 1⁄3 to get back, and 1⁄3 for reserve.
- Operate the nozzle by hand, (not by ‘automatic shut off’)
- Fuel to a maximum of 90% tank capacity (think ‘thermal expansion’).
- If you have an inboard engine, open the hatch to your engine compartment.
- Check for the smell of fuel.
- Leave the hatch open, so that air can circulate and remove any fumes.
- Turn on the boat blower for a few minutes.
- Everyone back on board. It’s time to enjoy the pleasures of boating in beautiful Lake County.