Boating Lake County Blog
Keeping your stainless steel stainless
The fittings on your boat may be called “stainless steel,” but that doesn’t mean they’re indestructible. Here are some tips for keeping stainless steel stainless:
- Clean stainless frequently with soap and water. Any cleaner safe for glass is usually safe for stainless.
- Remove rust spots as soon as possible with a cleaner made for stainless steel, brass, silver or chrome.
- For added protection, use a good car wax after cleaning and drying.
- Never use coarse abrasives like sandpaper or steel wool.
- Don’t use acids or bleaches to clean.
- Never leave stainless in contact with iron, steel or other corrodible metals.