Keeping your stainless steel stainless
The fittings on your boat may be called “stainless steel,” but that doesn’t mean they’re indestructible. Here are some tips for keeping stainless steel stainless:
- Clean stainless frequently with soap and water. Any cleaner safe for glass is usually safe for stainless.
- Remove rust spots as soon as possible with a cleaner made for stainless steel, brass, silver or chrome.
- For added protection, use a good car wax after cleaning and drying.
- Never use coarse abrasives like sandpaper or steel wool.
- Don’t use acids or bleaches to clean.
- Never leave stainless in contact with iron, steel or other corrodible metals.